No matter how many times it’s proven that breakfast is important to a healthy lifestyle, people still continually skip it.
If the choice to have breakfast or not the answer is ALWAYS have breakfast.
Now WHAT to have can be up for debate. It is very beneficial for your body, mind and muscles to start off the day with protein. Whether you exercise regularly or just with getting older protein is so important for building muscles and for older folks maintain muscle mass in general! Plus it helps you feel fuller longer and gives you the fuel boost to start the day!
Studies have shown that high protein breakfasts can be linked to weight-loss since you feel fuller long you have less desire to eat carelessly throughout the day.
Here are some high protein breakfast ideas:
- Two slices of whole-wheat bread with 1 tablespoon of peanut butter on each, topped with sliced banana. One cup of skim milk to drink. Total: 22 grams of protein.
- Strawberry Smoothie: Blend together 1/2 cup of strawberries, 6 ounces Greek yogurt, 1/4 cup of uncooked oatmeal, a drizzle of honey (as needed) and 1/2 cup of skim milk or soy milk. Total: 21 grams of protein.
- Mediterranean Sandwich: Whole-wheat pita with 4 tablespoons of hummus, tomato slices, 1 ounce of goat cheese and 1/4 cup of sliced almonds. Have a café latte to drink, made with 1/2 cup of steamed skim milk. Total: 22 grams of protein.
- Cottage cheese
- Greek Yogurt with fruit and honey
- Breakfast Burrito: Corn tortilla filled with two scrambled eggs, sautéed onions, 1/4 cup of black beans and pico de gallo. Total: 25 grams of protein.
- Apple Walnut Oatmeal: Cook 3/4 cups of dry oatmeal with 1 and 1/4 cup of skim milk, and add 1/4 cup of chopped walnuts, plus 1 chopped apple. Sprinkle with cinnamon and drizzle with honey. Total: 24 grams of protein.