Stretching is CRUCIAL to keep your body moving and active. Let’s be honest you don’t to move or exercise if you are achy and stiff. Here are my top 5 stretches to do EVERY DAY. While it important to incorporate different stretches, if I had to narrow it down – these 5 would be the winners!
- Towel Stretch – Focus: Hamstrings
- Using a towel make a U shape and place your foot in the middle of towel. Lay on your back bring leg up and pull on either side of towel pulling toes towards your face.
- Hold this for about 10 seconds, release for 10, then 20, release for 10, then 30 and release for 10. Repeat on other leg.
- Bonus stretch – You can also you go to a glute figure 4 stretch here too!
- Frog stretch – Focus: Hips
- Start on all fours then widen your legs so the floor is pressing them open. Sink back into your hips and fold head toward arms.
- Hold this for 30 seconds, release for 10, then 45 seconds, release for 10, then 60 seconds and release for 10.
- Glute Bridges
- Lay on your back and keep feet close to glutes. Drive hips up high squeezing your glutes the whole way especially at the top to of the move.
- Do 8-10 reps and then hold for 5 seconds – repeat 3x
- Lay on you stomach extend arms over head, with thumbs up lift legs and upper body off floor. Squeeze back, glute and hamstrings to lift limbs as high as you can. Hold for a second then back down.
- To get a little add a lat pulldown at the top of the stretch
- Hip Flexor Stretch
- Keeping a 90 degree ankle push the leg on the ground forward by tucking the hips forward. Don’t lean forward creating a larger than 90 degree angle that can put pressure on low back. What you may do during yoga a yoga flow is different this stretch. Take 3 full breaths in through nose and out your mouth trying to empty lungs completely!
Why stretch?? Stretching helps with so many things and mainly flexibility. Stretching allows you maintain full range of motion. You to keep your muscles long and loose and ready to react for any load you put on your body. Stretching can also improve posture, pain, soreness and improve performance.
Want more? Shoot me an email and I’ll be happy to get you started!